Are you looking for a new career opportunity as well as a chance to make a difference in your community? Look no further than Horizon Goodwill Industries!
At Horizon Goodwill, we believe in the power of work to strengthen individuals and to transform lives. We envision persons with barriers to employment being able to choose rewarding employment, achieving financial security, and building careers and lives for themselves and their families, thus enriching our communities. To put our beliefs into action, we offer a wide variety of services to individuals throughout our service area including job training, skill building, business solutions, and human resources assistance. We serve 17 different counties within the four-state area. Our headquarters is based out of Hagerstown, MD in Washington County. Hagerstown, MD sits at the crossroads of interstates I-70 and I-81 and is within proximity of the Baltimore and Washington, DC areas.
Horizon Goodwill Industries in Hagerstown, MD is searching for a qualified Director of Development and Community Engagement. This position will be responsible for planning, organization, and execution of Horizon Goodwill Industries’ fundraising initiatives including annual giving, major gifts, endowment, special events, capital campaigns and grant writing. The Director of Development and Community Engagement will also serve as an ambassador to external community partners and shares responsibility for developing strategic partnerships. For more information regarding the duties and qualifications for this great opportunity, the full job description is listed below and can also be found when you click the link to apply for this position via our Careers website.
- Design and execute Horizon Goodwill Industries annual fundraising plan
- Secure financial support from individuals, foundations, and corporations.
- Develop and maintain ongoing relationships with major donors
- Implementation of the More Than Just a Store Program and Tour in A Box
- Organization and execution of special events
- Researching, drafting, and tracking of grant proposals
- Establishing and maintaining relationships with community stakeholders and government officials to develop funding, business, and service opportunities
- Attendance at community functions across the Horizon Goodwill Industries territory to promote our mission and impact and build community relationships. Some events may be before/after normal business hours
- Management of donor database
- Develop agency collateral in collaboration with the Marketing Manager
- Oral/Written Communication
Articulate thoughts and ideas clearly and effectively in written and oral forms.
- Critical Thinking/Problem Solving
Obtain, interpret, and use knowledge, facts, and data to make decisions and overcome problems.
Work within a team structure and can negotiate and manage conflict. Exhibit a positive workplace attitude that encourages advancement towards common goals.
- Digital Technology
Use existing digital technologies ethically and efficiently to solve problems, complete tasks, and accomplish goals. Demonstrate adaptability to new and emerging technologies.
Assess and manage emotions and those of others; use empathetic skills to guide and motivate; and organize, prioritize, and delegate work. Use interpersonal skills to coach and develop others.
- Professionalism/Work Ethic
Demonstrate personal accountability, effective work habits, and understand the impact of non-verbal communication on professional work image. Demonstrates integrity and ethical behavior, acts responsibly, and able to learn from mistakes.
- Career Management
Identify and articulate skills, strengths, knowledge, and experiences relevant to position desired and career goals as well as identify areas necessary for professional growth.
- Global/Intercultural Fluency
Value, respect, and learn from diverse cultures, races, ages, gender, sexual orientations, and religions. Demonstrate openness, inclusiveness, sensitivity, and the ability to interact respectfully with all individuals.
Education and Experience
- Bachelor’s degree required
- 5 years demonstrated success in fund development required; experience with grant writing preferred
- Experience with the Benevon Fundraising Model desired
- CFRE certification desired
- Must have transportation, valid driver’s license, automobile insurance, ability to pass
pre-employment background check and drug screen
- Strong understanding of tax benefits and implications for donors required
- Knowledge of and experience implementing fundraising best practices required
- Must have a desire to be outward facing to develop strong external relationships
- Must be driven to initiate donor visits and funding calls
Potential Career Paths
- VP of Development
Job Type: Full-time
Pay: $55,000.00 - $60,000.00 per year
- 401(k) matching
- Dental insurance
- Disability insurance
- Employee assistance program
- Employee discount
- Flexible schedule
- Health insurance
- Life insurance
- Paid time off
- Professional development assistance
- Referral program
- Retirement plan
- Tuition reimbursement
- Vision insurance
- 8 hour shift
- Day shift
- Monday to Friday
- Fundraising: 1 year (Preferred)
- One location