$71,773-$114,044 (depending on qualifications)
FULL BENEFITS PACKAGE
FULL-TIME (8:00 AM-5:00 PM)
APPLICATIONS ARE AVAILABLE ON-LINE AT www.berkeleywv.org OR AT THE COUNTY COUNCIL OFFICE, 400 W. STEPHEN STREET; SUITE 201, MARTINSBURG, WV, 25401, MONDAY-FRIDAY, 8:00 AM-5:00 PM, APPLICATIONS AND/OR RESUMES’ MAY BE RETURNED IN PERSON OR AT [email protected] AND WILL BE ACCEPTED UNTIL 5:00 PM, FRIDAY, OCTOBER 15, 2021.
KIND OF WORK:
Responsible for planning, organizing, and implementing the financial and operations systems of the Berkeley County Council. Responsible for the general supervision of the Accounting/Finance Department. Duties include reviewing budget revisions and maintaining financial systems and providing regular updates to the County Administrator and County Council on all matters relating to county finances.
EXAMPLES OF WORK:
- Works closely with the County Administrator and County Council on all matters relating to the budget with particular emphasis on accounts payable and payroll.
- Keeps the County Council apprised of all matters impacting the budget or County’s finances.
- Reviews, analyzes, and maintains entries for the County budget.
- Assists in the compilation of County financial statements.
- Works with appropriate personnel on federal and state grant reporting and compliance.
- Supervises and assigns work to Finance Department staff.
- Works closely with the County Administrator, as needed, during the annual budget process.
- Supervises the preparation and reporting of payroll related tax information.
- Maintains vendor files for payment and 1099 reporting.
- Attends County Council meetings as requested.
- Performs all other related duties as assigned.
QUALIFICATIONS AND REQUIREMENTS:
- Any combination of education and experience equivalent to a bachelor’s degree from an accredited college or university with major course work in business, accounting, finance, or related field. (Master’s Degree preferred).
- Certified Public Accountant (CPA) or Certified Public Finance Officer (CPFO) designation preferred.
- Experience with or ability to quickly learn Munis ERP software.
- Extensive increasingly responsible experience in government accounting.
- Experience maintaining and administering accounts payable and payroll systems.
- Ability to supervise and direct a small staff.
- Superior knowledge of Microsoft Office software particularly Excel.
- Comprehensive knowledge of general statutes, laws and administrative policies governing municipal financial practices and procedures.
- Comprehensive knowledge of the principles and practices of governmental accounting.
- Ability to interpret federal, state, and local policies, procedures, laws, and regulations related to municipal finance.
- Ability to communicate complex ideas, both orally and in writing.
- Ability to establish and maintain effective working relationships with County officials, other government officials, and associates.
- Ability to prepare complex and informative financial reports.
- Ability to maintain confidentiality.
Must have the use of sensory skills to effectively communicate and interact with other employees and the public with the telephone and personal contact as normally defined by the ability to see, read, talk, hear, handle, or feel objects and controls. Physical capability to effectively use and operate various items of office related equipment, such as, but not limited to a, personal computer, calculator, copier, and fax machine. No significant standing, walking, moving, climbing, carrying, bending, kneeling, crawling, reaching, and handling, pushing, and pulling.
- Possession of valid driver’s license.
ADDITIONAL INFORMATION FOR APPLICANTS
APPLICATION FOR THIS RECRUITMENT:
All applications for vacancies with Berkeley County Clerk must be submitted to the Berkeley Clerk’s Office, 100 West King Street, Martinsburg, WV, 25401 on or before the date specified on the front of this announcement. An application may be rejected if it is not complete or is received after the specified closing date (we do honor post-mark date on applications submitted by postal mail). Each applicant will be notified by mail regarding the selection process. Berkeley County does not reimburse travel expenses incurred to attend a scheduled interview.
The kind of examination/screening for positions announced will vary with each position and may include:
- an evaluation of training and experience
- personal and/or group interview
- written and/or spoken examination(s)
- performance test(s)
- a background investigation
- a physical examination*and
- a drug test*.
*These examinations are administered after offer of employment.
Berkeley County is an “At-Will” employer. However, new employees normally serve a probationary period of six (6) months before attaining regular status. The length of the probationary period may vary depending on the position and may be extended depending on performance. The probationary period is considered part of the examination process to determine the employee’s fitness for the position in which he/she was placed.
Berkeley County employees are paid twice per month. A new employee ordinarily starts work at the rate specified in this announcement. The Berkeley County Council reviews compensation increases as part of the normal budget preparation process and makes the appropriate compensation adjustments at the beginning of the fiscal year (July 1).
ANNUAL LEAVE, SICK LEAVE AND HOLIDAYS:
(The following is unavailable for part-time and temporary positions)
- Employees earn 1.50 days of sick leave per month/18 days annually with unlimited accumulation.
- Berkeley County observes 12 paid holidays per year and Primary and General Election Days as they occur.
- Employees accumulate annual leave according to the following schedule:
Years of Service Days Per Month Days Per Year
0 – 5 years 1.25 days 15 days
5 – 10 years 1.50 days 18 days
10 – 15 years 1.75 days 21 days
15 years plus 2.00 days 24 days
HEALTH, RETIREMENT & MISCELLANOUS BENEFITS:
- Regular employees are required to participate in the West Virginia Public Employee Retirement Plan
- Life Insurance is available to full-time employees, their spouse, and eligible dependents.
- Regular full-time employees may elect to join the County sponsored health plan which includes medical, hospitalization, major medical, dental, and prescription drug coverage. The County may pay up to 100% of the employee costs (depending on election) and the employee pays for any dependent coverage elected.
- A deferred compensation program is available.
- Direct deposit is mandatory.
BERKELEY COUNTY IS AN EQUAL OPPORTUNITY EMPLOYER