Job Title: Director of Development & Marketing
Job Type: Exempt; Full-time
Job Location: BGCEP Admin Office: 201 East Burke Street, Martinsburg, WV, 25401
Reports to: Chief Executive Officer
Boys & Girls Club of the Eastern Panhandle’s Mission:
The Boys & Girls Club of the Eastern Panhandle (BGCEP) enables all young people, especially those who need us most, to realize their full potential as productive, caring, and responsible citizens. We offer our young people a safe environment where they can have fun and be themselves, dedicated adult mentors who respect and listen to them, and outcome-based programs that empower youth to become lifelong learners.
Under the supervision of the Chief Executive Officer, the Director of Development and Marketing will provide high-level administrative support to maximize philanthropic funding and Board engagement for the Boys & Girls Clubs of the Eastern Panhandle.
This position is heavy with administrative project management duties and involves managing multiple deadlines at once. The ideal candidate is self-motivated with a keen attention to detail. They understand the importance this role plays in the Club’s overall mission and hold themselves to high expectations.
KEY ROLES (Essential Job Responsibilities)
Strategic Planning & Executive Leadership (15%)
- Works with CEO, to set the strategy and tone for fundraising, emphasizing the implementation of innovative and creative ideas for securing private donations.
- Works with Board of Directors, under direction from CEO, to plan and execute resource development strategies and monitor progress against goals.
- Supports CEO in positioning Board to cultivate and solicit major gifts and grants from individuals, corporations, foundations, government agencies, and others.
- Evaluate and refine processes to support fundraising success.
- Monitor fundraising progress and donor stewardship; and provide analytic reports to senior leaders, the CEO, and the Board.
- In partnership with the Office Administrator, Director of Operations, Director of HR/Business, and Director of Community Outreach, assist CEO to support each department’s goals and collective organization success.
- Provide all other planning and leadership duties as assigned.
- Serve as a high-level executive coordinator to the CEO, Board of Directors, and Board committees, including but not limited to scheduling appointments, calendar management, organization of file systems, and coordinating projects as assigned.
- Administer the BGCEP’s CRM system (MyClubHub) including gift processing, receipting, reporting and updating of records, and ongoing reconciliation with Office Administrator.
- Ensures integrity and accuracy of donor data through establishment and adherence to SOPs.
- Support the production of development mailings including but not limited to direct mail campaigns and stewardship activities.
- Assist CEO board relations and management, utilizing the board portal as a communication tool, meeting logistics, and preparation of meeting materials.
- Responsible for timely generation of reports to support department and organizational needs.
- Under the guidance of the CEO, implement and maintain an effective system to ensure appropriate stewardship activities are fulfilled for BGCEP prospects and supporters; meet assigned goals for constituent interactions and timely tracking of contact reports in CRM.
- Provide administrative support for BGCEP events and activities, including but not limited to guest management, revenue tracking, and auction coordination.
- Develop and execute annual prospect cultivation and donor stewardship plan in partnership with the CEO and Resource Development Committee.
- Work with CEO, and Board of Directors to identify, cultivate, solicit, and steward donors.
- As prospect pool grows, develop, retain, and grow personal portfolio of annual donors with defined metrics for success, including meeting assigned goals for constituent interactions and timely tracking of contact reports in CRM.
Marketing & Communications (20%)
- Raise BGCEP’s profile and strengthen its reputation among donors, constituents, volunteers, organizational partners, other key stakeholders and the general public.
- Develop marketing deck of messaging for BGCEP’s targeted audiences including but not limited to corporate partners, foundations, individual donors, Board members, and alumni. Direct creation of all collateral to support organization strategy, including but not limited to direct mail, event materials, program flyers, website, and social media.
- Serve as in-house lead for content creation for social media platforms, BGCEP website, monthly Constant Contact e-newsletters, and fundraising campaigns based on Club activities and calendar.
- Assess BGCEP’s current collateral on a quarterly basis and regularly update and/or produce new materials; standardize program marketing materials to ensure consistency with the BGCEP’s brand and messaging
- Manage the production of event-related communications, including sponsor packets, donation letters, invitations, program book, PowerPoint presentations, etc.
- Represent the organization in the community as appropriate.
- Perform additional duties as assigned.
Internal: Maintains close, daily contact with CEO and Office Administrator to receive/provide information, strategize, discuss issues, and advise/counsel. Maintains regular contact with volunteers, including Board of Directors, to strategize and propel the donor program.
External: Maintains close contact with donors, volunteers and community organization, as requested.
- Bachelor’s degree required, graduate degree strongly preferred.
- A minimum of five (5) years’ experience in special event planning, fundraising and management, with proven success in event management and growth.
- A proven record providing innovative oversight of a fundraising department is necessary for this individual, along with a proven record of managing and growing a successful fundraising department with a minimum goal of $500,000-$1M revenue, managing an independent portfolio of engaged donors.
- Demonstrated working knowledge of all areas of fundraising including major gifts, corporate and foundation grants, crowdfunding, and sponsorship.
- Demonstrated knowledge of database management, fundraising software and opportunities and an ability to manage and track funding prospects and potential donors.
- Exceptional interpersonal and influencing skills, tact and diplomacy with the ability to develop and maintain cooperative and successful working relationships with volunteers, staff and all donors.
- Demonstrated understanding of social media, media, and marketing communications.
- Ability to inspire and motivate volunteers and donors.
- Excellent public speaking, presentation, and written communication skills.
- Political, analytical and negotiation skills.
- Sound judgment and superior problem-solving ability.
- Ability to be adaptable and innovative when appropriate.
- Integrity and fiscal accountability.
- Proficiency is expected with the most recent Microsoft Office Suite, including Excel, Word, Outlook, Publisher, and PowerPoint; and a general comfort level with technology, including web sites and social networking.
- Strong verbal and written communication and presentation skills. Excellent interpersonal and relationship-building skills. Active listening, analytical, and problem-solving skills.
- Effectively multi-task, establish priorities, and work in a fast-paced environment. Highly efficient in time management and can meet deadlines under pressure. Detail-oriented and strong organizational skills.
- Familiarity with social media, email marketing and CRM platforms.
- Ability to perform other tasks as needed.
Environment and Working Conditions
Tasks are regularly performed with moderate exposure to environmental conditions such as dirt, dust, pollen, odors, wetness, humidity, rain, fumes, and temperature and noise extremes.
Physical and Mental Requirements
Tasks involve the ability to exert very moderate physical effort in light work, typically involving some combination of standing for long periods of time, stooping, kneeling, crouching and crawling, and which may involve some lifting, carrying, pushing and/or pulling of objects and materials of moderate weight.
The list of essential functions, as outlined herein, is intended to be representative of the tasks performed within this classification. It is not necessarily descriptive of any one position in the class. The omission of an essential function does not preclude management from assigning duties not listed herein if such functions are a logical assignment to the position.
Once an offer has been made, applicant must complete a background check and complete an onboarding and training process.